By taking the oath, students pledge to put the health, safety and privacy of their patients first and adhere to a professional code of ethics.
The Student Academy of the American Academy of Physician Assistants (SAAAPA) developed the oath, which was adopted by their Assembly of Representatives.
The full oath is below.
The PA Professional Oath
I pledge to perform the following duties with honesty and dedication:
• I will hold as my primary responsibility the health, safety, welfare and dignity of all human beings.
• I will uphold the tenets of patient autonomy, beneficence, nonmaleficence and justice.
• I will recognize and promote the value of diversity.
• I will treat equally all persons who seek my care.
• I will hold in confidence the information shared in the course of practicing medicine.
• I will assess my personal capabilities and limitations, striving always to improve my medical practice.
• I will actively seek to expand my knowledge and skills, keeping abreast of advances in medicine.
• I will work with other members of the health care team to provide compassionate and effective care of patients.
• I will use my knowledge and experience to contribute to an improved community.
• I will respect my professional relationship with the physician.
• I will share and expand knowledge within the profession.
These duties are pledged with sincerity and upon my honor.