In honor of 2012 Physician Assistant (PA) Week, taking place from Oct. 6-12, HEALTHeCAREERS Network (HeCN), an online healthcare recruiting solutions provider, has created the following fact sheet on PA employment statistics and trends.
First up: Some key facts about physician assistants
- Physician assistants (PAs) are healthcare professionals authorized to practice medicine as part of a team with a physician.
- There are about 86,000 certified PAs in the workforce today.
- There continues to be a national physician shortage and many hospitals are increasingly looking to PAs, who have prescribing power, to help maintain consistent, high-quality patient care.
Now to the numbers: What are the hottest physician assistant jobs by specialty?
- As of the first half of 2012, general, orthopedic, emergency medicine and family medicine PAs continue to be the most in-demand specialties.
- From 2011 to 2012, job activations for general PAs increased by 48 percent.
- Other PA specialties that showed marked job activation growth from 2011 to 2012 include: cardiology (28 percent); oncology (49 percent); and hospitalist PAs (35 percent).
Location, location: Where are physician assistants needed the most?
- Pennsylvania, Texas, California, New York, North Carolina and Massachusetts had the most PA job activations in the first half of 2012.
- From 2011 to 2012, Florida decreased PA job activations by about 30 percent.
- From 2011 to 2012, Maryland, Oregon, Ohio and Wisconsin all increased PA job activations by, on average, 50 percent.
About HEALTHeCAREERS Network (HeCN)
HEALTHeCAREERS Network (HeCN) is the only true online single-source healthcare recruiting solution providing a full spectrum of medical and healthcare jobs and unparalleled access across disciplines and specialties for employers to recruit qualified candidates and for job seekers to find employment opportunities specific to their individual career path. Designed to match qualified medical professionals with healthcare employers, HeCN also serves as a career destination complete with news, information, events, career resources, and recruitment tools. To learn more about HeCN and our offerings for employers, recruiters and job seekers, please visit www.healthecareers.com, their blog, or follow them on Facebook and Twitter.
For questions about this fact sheet and how data was collected, please email HeCN@shiftcomm.com.
Find physician assistant jobs from around the country at AAPA’s PA Job Link.